On Tuesday, 12/21/2004 at 11:30 PST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Our IBM rep said that the cable had to be ordered separately.  Seems
like
> they are following the PC model with "some parts sold separately /
batteries
> not included" mantra.

Then there is the other half of the audience that gets upset when you
include (and charge for) cables they already have.  As you can see from
the OSA book, there are lots of different combinations and the decision
about which cable to use is based on your physical switch, existing
cables, and distance requirements.

Oh, and the ultimate indignity, whatever cable we provide won't be the
right length.

That's the nice thing about the 1000baseT (z890/z990) card over the
Gigabit card: it uses standard RJ-45 connectors and CAT5 cables.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott