We are running 2 SuSE Linux SP03 in native LPAR mode. We have 3 OSA/e in
qdio mode and 1 OSA/e in non-qdio mode. We run the Quagga routing suite to
broadcast out our VIPA (dummy0) which all users use to access the Linux.
This has worked rather well and allows us to shut down specific OSAs and
network switches for maintenance.

Now we have just installed a z/VM 5.1 LPAR and have an additional 2 Linux
guests with possibly more on the way. I do not wish to run Quagga on each
guest as the overhead is noticeable.

Our OSAs are on 4 separate subnets connected to two different switches that
are connected via Ciscoâs HSRP. I have the z/VM system configured for VIPA
using 1 qdio OSA and 1 non-qdio OSA and running mproute. I have a virtual
switche defined on each of the other 2 qdio OSAs. These are what the Linux
guests are using. Obviously the static route on the Linux guest are making
them really use one OSA for most of the outbound traffic.

Thank you for your patience up to now. Here is the question.

Can I still configure a dummy0 on my Linux guests and use z/VM as my router
to broadcast this dummy0 IP address out into the cloud? That way I can
develope a script to switch between the 2 different OSAs on the Linux guest
when maintenance dictates.

If so, how do I go about getting started?

Is there a better method?

Be gentle, I am a z/VM newbie.

Thanks

Peter

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any
copies.  PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory
or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal
right by Email communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect
of such communications.