James,

I'll add my two cents, but I'll first add the disclaimer that I've read
and written about this, but don't use it in production from day to day (so
add two grains of salt to the two cents :))

> All the documentation they have shown me indicates that it can get time
> from an SNTP time source like NIST - just not proving that it works.
So, if Active Directory can get their time set via NTP, then Linux does
not need to come into play, and this issue is outside the scope of this
forum.

> ... but are unable to make it work.
Oh, that is different.  So maybe Linux can help! (we must learn to
befriend the "windows guys" to help show them the light :))

> I'd rather not have to set up SMB server... just to make that work.
Why not? This is perhaps the easiest Samba setup you could ask for. Make
sure samba is installed (yast -i samba). Make the one change to smb.conf
(timer server = yes) mentioned earlier (and even if you don't make it I
believe Samba will still allow the time to be set via SMB - this parameter
forces Samba to *advertise* itself as a time source)  Then  hopefully
these commands will do:
  # chkconfig smb on
  # rcsmb start

But, how accurate is your Linux clock? You should probably provide an
*accurate* time to keep you new found friends :)) I believe this is also
very easy with xntp.  I have been told that the NTP daemon is not the
lightest-weight of services. So if you want to commit these cycles, be
sure xntp is installed (yast -i xntp) and modify the /etc/ntp.conf file. I
believe you want to comment out two lines and add two statum 2 servers on
the interent (See
http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers and also read
the "Rules of engagement" link). For example:

  # server 127.127.1.0            # local clock (LCL)
  # fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized

  ##
  ## Outside source of synchronized time
  ##
  ## server xx.xx.xx.xx           # IP address of server
  server sundial.columbia.edu
  server clock.nyc.he.net

Then start xntpd:
  # rcxntpd start
  Try to get initial date and time via NTP from  sundial.columbia.edu
clock.nyc.he.net     done
  Starting network time protocol daemon (NTPD)                 done
  # chkconfig xntpd on

Wait for a while for your software clock to adjust (can be a couple of
minutes, can be over an hour depending on how far off your clock started)
and type:

  # ntptrace
  localhost: stratum 2, offset -0.006989, synch distance 0.006349
  avi-lis.gw.lightning.net: stratum 1, offset 0.000000, synch distance
0.000000, refid 'CDMA'

I believe what you want to see is that your Linux server becomes a stratum
3 (not sure why mine reports stratum 2 when I'm pointing to a stratum 2)
time server.

Then the windows guys should be able to sync to your Linux server via "net
time \\linux.server /set /yes" (and keep it a secret between us and them
:)).

Hope this helps.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061