From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Romanowski, John (OFT)
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 12:05 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Any caveats moving root filesystem to LVM?

Anyone have experiences moving root file system to Logical Volume Manager
(LVM)?

We run SLES8 under VM on S390 with Linux guests cloned from a 2-dasd
(3390mod3's) linux image with "/" on one pack and /usr on the other pack.

I'd like more flexibility to use the free disk space from each pack as a
global pool of free space so I'm evaluating converting the existing Linux
file systems to LVM with root file system in LVM.

I'm comfortable on how to create the logical volumes and copy the existing
Linux file systems into it, but I'm not clear on how the LVM-based Linux
will boot up and how I'd "rescue" such systems later if needed.
-snip-