I have done this on a fresh install.
/boot was it's own filesystem
/ was in lvm vgwhatever

SUSE appends LVM to the /etc/sysconfig/modules so that the lvm module is
available in the initial ramd.

HTH

Wh

Michael MacIsaac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At IPL how will the Suse initrd find the Volume group and mount the root
file system?
I don't think it can. We boot from a 100 cyl /boot fs and have a logical
volume mounted over /. Maybe the easiest way is to try this type of
migration is to play tricks with minidisks:

- Shut down the Linux to be migrated
- Define a new user ID with the two or three new volumes as well as the
volumes with the old / and /usr/ as different minidisks
- Install a fresh sles8 with a 100 cyl /boot and a two or three volume LVM
over /
- Temporarily mount and recursively copy the old / to the new /
- Do the same for /usr/
- Reboot and cross your fingers - if it doesn't work, at least the old
user ID is unchanged and can still be booted

I've never tried this, but it sounds good on "paper".

(During the time I was writing this I see Mark and Brandon's posts. I
tend to agree - you may want to avoid logical volumes over / altogether.)

"Mike MacIsaac" (845) 433-7061