You can always increase the size of the LV dynamically.  That applies to all
filesystems. The problem is that ext2/3 will not allow you to add space (using
resize2fs) unless the FS is unmounted.

With Reiser though, you can use the resize_reiserfs command on a mounted
filesystem.  We used it successfully many times.

The sequence is:

pvcreate (physical volume)
vgextend (to add the volume to the VG)
lvextend (to increase the size of the volume)
resize_reiserfs (to add the free space to the FS)

If you give resize_reiserfs no parameters other than the filesystem name, it's
smart enough to fill the remaining space  on the volume.

REDUCING the size of a filesystem is also possible, but I've only done it once
on Linux/Intel, and it was much more complicated than increasing it.  It also
took a LONG time.  Far longer than adding space.

When you add striping to the mix, you lose the ability to do lvextend, since
the number of stripes has to match the number of physical volumes in the LV.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or
redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this
e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/