I am getting ready to attempt to install SLES9 under z/VM as well. The
procedure mentioned in  http://mikemacisaac.com/configureNFS.pdf describes
a script called mksles9root. Does anyone have this in electronic format
that I can download?

Also, the statement "I did have to change one
little thing: blanked out the "\t" from the files yast/instorder;
yast/order.". What does this mean or will it become more obvious once I
get started.?Thank you for any infomation anyone can provide.

Peter

"Ifurung, [EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
26/01/2005 05:56 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: SuSE Installation Server

Mike,

The procedure you provided ( http://mikemacisaac.com/configureNFS.pdf )
for
setting up a linux install server worked well.  I did have to change one
little thing: blanked out the "\t" from the files yast/instorder;
yast/order.

So with the prepared linux (desktop) install server, I was able to
successfully install a base SLES9 on z/VM .

For SP1 upgrade, I used the following procedure:

In the Install server:
1) download SP1 iso images for CD1, CD2
2) mount loop iso images to tmp dir
3) created diretory: /sles9-s3900-sp1/CD1, /sles9-s3900-sp1/CD2
4) copied iso files from tmp to above directories
5) using yast, NFS export /sles9-s3900-sp1

In target Image:
1) register new install source:
   -yast
    software / Change source of Installation
    add:
     install_server / sles9-s3900-sp1/CD1  (CD1 only, CD2 not reqd)
     move to top of list
 2) do the upgrade:
    - yast
      software / system update
      (take all defaults)
 3) re-boot

So the upgrade appears to have worked.
Question: How can I tell that my system is sles9 SP1 ?
========

Uname -a :
Linux lnxtest4 2.6.5-7.139-s390 #1 SMP Fri Jan 14 15:41:33 UTC 2005 s390
s390 s390 GNU/Linux

Ismael