The OS for the Xerox Sigma-7 (and Sigma-9s) was called "CP-V" (Control
Program five) and the JCL was, IIRC, called "PCL" (a "pickle deck").

Honeywell took over the 'puter business but didn't do much with it.

The CEs had a diagnostic tape that included System EXercisers (which could
be launched by the command "SEX" or "NEW") and the first program on the
tape was called "hardcore" to ensure that all of the instructions in the
system still worked.

Instead of Z EOD the operator typed "ZAP", the KSR-35 would do a little
dance and type out "THAT'S ALL FOLKS" and the CPU speaker would play the
Star Spangled Banner.

(shakes head)  It was a fun system. though there were some oddities.  For
instance, CP-V could be crashed by running 256 B *+1s in a row (because the
CPU stalled in re-filling the pipeline and locked out the HS-RAD).

"cat file" was spelled "copy file to me"... and it had the first
meta-assembler I've ever seen.  I used to hand-assemble some programs and
toggle 'em in.  I learned about channel programming on that beast.

I went from those to TI-960s in late 1977 and then to UNIVAC 1100s in 1979.

--------------------
John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines (GNUrd)      (813) 356-5322 (t/l 697)
Adsumo ergo raptus sum
MacOS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging
Windows.
Red Hat Certified Engineer (#803004680310286)
IBM Certified: IBM AIX 4.3 System Administration, System Support
----- Forwarded by John Campbell/Tampa/IBM on 03/16/2005 11:45 AM -----

                      "Fargusson.Alan"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
                      tb.ca.gov>               cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Re: [LINUX-390] 9672
power requirements
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      03/16/2005 11:35
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

I was going to ignore the "could heat your house" comment, but since David
didn't.

I heard this second hand, so I don't know how true it is.  I heard that
someone bought an old Sigma 7 and put it in his basement.  Since it put out
a lot of heat he connected it up to his heating ducts and used the Sigma 7
to heat his house.

The Sigma computer systems were made by Sigma Data Systems, which was
bought by Xerox.  Xerox eventually left the computer business leaving Sigma
customers without support.  The university I graduated from had three Sigma
9s that they were still using when I graduated.  Actually one was for parts
for the other two.  One of the professors there actually ported the Unix
PCC C compiler to the Sigma operating system (I can't remember what the OS
was called).