Peter,

The symptoms you describe sound vaguely familiar. Did you perform the
second half of the SLES9 install?

After you IPL from reader/tape, you answer networking questions, bring up
the graphical install and format DASD, partition disks, choose RPMs and
then they are laid down onto DASD.

Then you must IPL your boot (root) DASD and you must complete some more
panels such as the root password and the LDAP configuration (this is the
second half).  If you forget this half (which is much shorter than half
the time), you have not completed the install. And it gets worse - I
believe if you log out, YaST writes a variable somewhere assuming you have
completed the install. If this is the case, you can either start over, or
there is some way from the console to modify a variable in a yast script
to convince SLES9 to allow you to complete the second half of the install.
 - which I saw someone do once.

But I can't remember it.  Myself, I'd start over. It's good practice :))

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061