After reading the following
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/reports/zvm/html/scsi.html I became very
confused (like I wasn't already)... Anyway, we're trying to move along
with a file server project and because of strict time lines, I'm trying
to avoid reinventing the wheel. Below is a quick rundown of our system.

We've got a z890 running z/VM 5.1 on one IFL. We're running several
instances of SLES9 in 64 bit mode. Our storage is on a shark and we have
one SAN defined with 2 fabrics. We define our devices in 3 ways, both in
an effort to have some redundancy;

    - As your traditional 3390 device (not a part of this question).
    - As an emulated FBA minidisk (9336) with two defined paths (one
through each fabric).
    - And as a FCP device, using EVMS on Linux to multipath through each
fabric.

My questions are about the latter two devices. The above document only
talks about single path connectivity. How would multipathing effect
these different devices? How does the multiple layers (e.g. EVMS, LVM,
etc...) effect these devices? In the document above it suggests a
substantial increase in CPU for an I/O operation to an FBA device as
opposed to an FCP device, how would multipathing effect this? How much
overhead is there with EVMS maintaining a multipathed FCP device?
Lastly, LVM1 is only available for an EVMS managed disk, is there a
noticeable increase in overhead between LVM1 and LVM2 (which can be used
with a FBA device)?

I guess I don't really need specific answers to these questions, just an
idea as to what others are doing. Like I said before, I'd rather not
reinvent the wheel. If anyone could shed some light on which one of
these devices (Emulated/multipathed/LVM2/FBA or EVMS/LVM1/FCP)
would/should perform better, that would be GREAT!

Mark Wiggins
University of Connecticut
Operating Systems Programmer
860-486-2792