First some history. VM supported a form of PAV for paging
back in 1984, back then development didn't have a problem
supporting up to 4 addresses per page volume for the
3880-21. So this function should be doable.

PAV was added to z/os because disk sizes were getting larger, and
the z/OS folks were rightfully concerned and thinking about
the future, something that needs doing more on the VM side.

The workloads running on linux are changing extremely fast.
3 years ago, it was small infrastructure, not a lot of I/O.
2 years ago, it was 31 bit WAS, ORACLE more I/O, but dbconnect
leaving the I/O on z/os seemed very common.
Now installations are starting to do real I/O with 64-bit apps.
Who can predict i/o patterns of all these new applications that
have never been analyzed before?

I keep hearing it will take a long time for PAV to be
added. so when we do have problems, then maybe 2 years
later we'll get a fix? once we can show I/O queues?  gee thanks.

in the mean time, tell your z/os folks that vm does not
support PAV, and you don't want their 3390-27, or even 3390-9....

>Date:         Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:31:08 -0500
>From: Marcy Cortes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
>
>Do you have any mod 27's?  I wonder if it is a potential problem
>with the big disks but no one in the real world has tried them
>because it is pretty darn hard to go back to a smaller size.
>

>Marcy Cortes
>WFS Enterprise Hosting Services - VM & Linux

"If you can't measure it, I'm Just NOT interested!"(tm)

Barton Robinson - CBW     Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Velocity Software, Inc    Mailing Address:
 196-D Castro Street       P.O. Box 390640
 Mountain View, CA 94041   Mountain View, CA 94039-0640

VM Performance Hotline:   650-964-8867
Fax: 650-964-9012         Web Page:  WWW.VELOCITY-SOFTWARE.COM