Robert,

> 3) Selected SAMBA  as install source.

Does the LPAR have have access to a Linux Intel server (or even Solaris,
AIX, ...)?  If so, I describe how to set up a SLES9 install tree served
via NFS in chapter 5 of the redbook "z/VM and Linux on zSeries: From LPAR
to Virtual Servers in Two Days",  on the Web at:
The files associated with this book are on the Web at:
  ftp://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/SG246695/

I think most would agree, SMB is been more problematic than NFS or FTP as
the protocol for serving the install files.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061