David,
I guess I disagree. While you are certainly right that there is
data cached in memory we ought to look at the scenario that could
take place.

If there is transactional data the transaction monitor and/or the
database would typically worry about data being written to persistent
data store so that in case of an outage you have roll-back or
roll-forward capabilities.

If there is "on the fly" generated data that nobody worries about
if being synced to disk at a particular point in time, a Linux
crash would certainly cause data loss for data not flushed to disk yet.
If anyone worries about such possible data loss, you better talk to
your application provider articulating your concern about its data
hardening policy for critical data.

If the customer uses GDPS/XRC for data replication of the Linux
environment (VM doesn't time stamp its data, though it honours Linux
writing timestamps) or alternatively GDPS/PPRC with or without
HyperSwap for both, Linux and z/VM they probably get as close as ever
possible, minimizing any critical data loss you probably can. And
in case of transactional data you typically also have full data
consistency assurance.

Therewith depending on your data loss objective in case of a
disaster scenario a backup like the one TSM usually delivers might
be good enough, or more sophisticated concurrent data replication
DR setup like the one delivered by like GDPS/XRC or GDPS/PPRC
is mandatory - if you have the opportunity integrating Linux into
your z/OS BR setup that GDPS provides support for.

Best regards,
Ingo

--
Ingo Adlung,
zSeries Linux and Virtualization Architecture