> Hello, folks.  I've just joined this list and it's the first time I have
> used a list server so please forgive any breaches of protocol and
> etiquette.
No fear, folks are friendly here.

> Our client uses SAMBA for file and print on an NT4 domain and we are
> working on migration to Active Directory on Windows 2003. To simplify
the
> migration of users to the new domain, the plan is to create a new global
> group and nest the existing global group within.    Also we have
received
> conflicting advice as to whether AD needs to run in native or mixed mode
in
> work with SAMBA.
So I guess LDAP is out of the question. Too bad.

> 1. Can SAMBA handle nested global groups?
I don't believe so - UNIX/Linux groups cannot contain groups. I recall
someone flattened nested groups somehow, but this was a migration
strategy, not a coexistence one.

> 2. Are there reference sites and/or other IBM experience with SAMBA and
> Active Directory?
I know there are a few shops out there doing this. I recall TCS presented
on Samba at SHARE about a year ago.  Anyone?

> 3. What mode should Active Directory run in in order to interface with
> SAMBA?
I believe with Samba 2, AD must be in "mixed mode". With Samba 3, AD can
be running in "native mode" (but that precludes 9x/ME clients).

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061