Except that some piece of assinine software we had for HPUX installed it's
license key in /tmp.  I wanted to reboot and not guarantee the contents of
that company.

-----Original Message-----
From: Post, Mark K [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:34 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: /tmp as a logical volume

I build all my systems with /tmp separate from /.  That goes for Linux/390
and Intel Linux.  SLES9 will handle it nicely.

I'm beginning to have doubts about LVM (version 1 at least) on 64-bit
systems.  I've had two cases where my volume groups have disappeared after
an IPL, and hence all my logical volumes.  Emails to the linux-lvm mailing
list have gone unanswered.  I don't know if it's because I'm running
Linux/390, LVM 1 or what.  Having said that, if you're going to use LVM,
using it for /tmp is certainly the safest.  According to the FHS, the
contents of /tmp are not guaranteed across a reboot anyway.