On Monday, 08/22/2005 at 11:40 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > is there any option to eTrust (i.e. LDAP Server under zOS to
> > interface to
> > ACF2) that fit the LDAP model better than eTrust?
> > or easier to implement than eTrust?
>
> Not that I know of, although the Linux IUCV driver we posted last week
> opens up a lot of interesting opportunities, such as connecting to the
VM
> *RPI CP service, allowing you to implement a Linux guest as a CP
external
> security manager. Once that's done (and the smart way to do it would be
> write a *RPI to PAM bridge widget), then any
authentication/authorization
> method available to Linux would be available for CP and Linux equally.
This
> would be particularly helpful if the RACROUTE macro also used that
interface
> -- I don't know for certain if it does, but Alan Altmark can probably
> confirm one way or another. If it does, then most of the IBM stuff would
> also work properly against an arbitrary AAA source. I'm still thinking a
bit
> more about how this should be done, so don't take this as gospel.

You would not write a "*RPI to PAM bridge widget".  *RPI is how the ESM
provides services to the control program, not guests.

RACROUTE is a CMS/GCS/MVS/VSE API "shell" whose job it is to hand the
request to a vendor-provided service.  That service does whatever the
vendor wants it do: issue a diagnose, use IUCV, or VMCF, all in an attempt
to requests services of the ESM.  The guests do not connect to *RPI.

The underlying communications mechanism to request services from the ESM
is not architected.  And rather than architect Yet Another Proprietary
Interface, the better solution is for the ESM to provide LDAP-based
authentication services.  Then any guest or remote host can access the
service.

But, yes, you could write a new PAM that uses a non-standard interface to
request ESM services.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott