> vmcp has a return value, which you can check in scripts.
> e.g:
>
> # vmcp <some large query>
> # echo $?
>
> 0 stands for everything is fine, any other value for problems.
> vmcp returns ENOBUFS (105) if the buffer was not large enough
> That means the output was larger than 64kb.

Usability suggestion: since this is a VM-specific widget, could you return
codes that are consistent with the implementation of DIAG 8 on CMS? I think
it would help in understanding how to use the gadget, and folks coming over
from CMS would be more familiar with those return codes.

> If there is a consensus that vmcp should always print
> something to stderr if the buffer was not large enough, tell
> us and we can add that.

A combination of the "familiar" return codes noted above, and an explanatory
message to stderr would be my preferred approach.

-- db