I copy DASD volumes all the time from our z/OS system. However I use FDR
Full Volume Copy. However, DF/DSS should do the same. If you run in native
lpar, it gets a little harder. He are my procedures that I always use:

___     Have good Linux backups

___     Logon to linux LPAR
___     Modify zipl.conf to reflect new DASD UCB addresses
___     issue zipl
___     Shutdown and deactivate linux LPAR
___     Submit full volume copies and verify results
___     Clip DASD volsers
___     Remount DASD on other systems if necessary
___     Activate linux LPAR
___     Verify results
        ___     cat /proc/dasd/devices
        ___     verify mounts

Because Linux caches so much, Linux must be down before running Full
volume copies or else you will get I/O errors trying to come back up.

I use these procedures on SLES 8. My SLES 9 are all z/VM Guest.

Good luck.

"Gregg, Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
10/10/2005 03:31 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Move DASD volume from one device to a new one.

I have SUSE 9 running in an LPAR for testing purposes. We are swapping out
our Hitachi 3390-9 DASD for IBM ESS 3390-9 and need to move all of the
DASD
volumes. I tried using DFDSS/DFHSM with no success. Is there a way to use
LINUX commands to move the IPL'able volume to a different device.

My thoughts were to dasdfmt, fdasd, mount volume, copy / to new volume.
Then
what about the boot sector? I have tried the above to a certain point then
fail. I am an old hat MVS sysprog and struggling with LINUX. I tried:

linux:/mnt # dasdfmt -b 4096 -f /dev/dasdb
Drive Geometry: 10017 Cylinders * 15 Heads =  150255 Tracks

I am going to format the device /dev/dasdb in the following way:
   Device number of device : 0xd20
   Labelling device        : yes
   Disk label              : VOL1
   Disk identifier         : 0X0D20
   Extent start (trk no)   : 0
   Extent end (trk no)     : 150254
   Compatible Disk Layout  : yes
   Blocksize               : 4096

--->> ATTENTION! <<---
All data of that device will be lost.
Type "yes" to continue, no will leave the disk untouched: yes
Formatting the device. This may take a while (get yourself a coffee).
Finished formatting the device.
Rereading the partition table... ok

linux:/mnt # fdasd -a /dev/dasdb
auto-creating one partition for the whole disk...
writing volume label...
writing VTOC...
rereading partition table...

linux:/mnt # mount /dev/dasdb /mnt/dasdb
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

linux:/mnt # mount /dev/dasdb /mnt/dasdb -t ext2
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/dasdb,
       or too many mounted file systems
linux:/mnt #

Jim Gregg
IT Systems Programmer
College Access Network
Denver, CO 80202

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.