David Boyes wrote:
Our development model has changed over time. While this was true in the early days, we now contribute our changes early to the mainline kernel. I agree that while things are in the "what do you think" state, we mostly use the more convenient communication "go to Martin's office and talk it over" over the less convenient one "mailing list".

Not having the privilege of direct access to Martin's office (although the
few times I've been able to speak with him on the phone, he's had good
suggestions and the discussion has been valuable), I can't argue whether
it's more convenient or not. It's not an option for the rest of us, so I
would argue that it really doesn't scale as a method of working together.

That's exactly what should happen. But it is the responsibility of the author do drive that discussion. I did not see that happen in this case, and it is exactly the same what I need to do here in Böblingen to get my code accepted by Martin.

I see a problem here with two (or more) classes of developers. There are those whose primary job is to work on the /390 version of Linux, with excellent access to the leader.

Then there are those whose work on the project may be incidental, many have other significant tasks too, and who have (relatively) poor access to the person who manages the project.

I recommend the following:
<quote>

About six months ago, I wrote up a piece on funding volunteer free
software projects that is being alluded to here:

  http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html

In particular, there was some academic work on mixing volunteerism and
commercial work that I cited in that paper. If you can't get access to
the documents or journal articles I cited off list and you really want
to read them, please contact me offlist and I can try to get you
copies.

Regards,
Mako
</quote>