> > If we are to no longer receive management (or any) function
> added to
> > CMS, we need the ability to perform the tasks CMS has traditionally
> > performed within the Linux environment. The fundamental
> problem is to
> > enable all the existing architected communication paths between the
> > guest OS and CP in a natural and usable manner in Linux.
> >
> I think that's a big "if".....I don't believe that IBM has
> ever made the statement that CMS is "functionally
> stabilized", although I may have missed it.  We are getting
> new CMS-based management tools and features from IBM now
> (e.g., Operations  Manager, Archiver), and CMS PIPELINES is
> certainly being enhanced and extended now.

While I don't think there has been an "official" statement, it's been pretty
clear that nothing major is going to happen to extend CMS function. We are
getting some applications, but no real new function in CMS.

> While I am in favor of integrating, where possible, virtual
> Linux guests more closely to both CP and CMS, I don't want to
> see the (limited?) resources IBM has available spent on
> reinventing the CMS wheel in Linux.

On the other hand, do you want new function and new capabilities quickly and
at the same time as for other platforms, or do you want them to spend their
time redesigning stuff to fit onto the CMS model?

>   We don't need all the features that CMS now offers to be
> re-invented in the Linux environment;

I agree. We need to be able to enhance the Linux environment to enable the
good things that both environments can do.

> As Rob van der Heij comments in another post, we don't need
> the ability in Linux to be able to write a CP directory
> management product.......

Why not? Why shouldn't I write a directory management product as a Linux
appliance?

> > APPC is harder. I've got code for it, but I don't think
> I'll be giving
> > it away.
> >
> Isn't the APPC protocol proprietary to IBM?

One of the reasons why *I* won't be giving the code away.

-- db