Carsten Otte wrote:
David Boyes wrote:

Suggestion, using DIAG 8 as an example:

Implemented in all DIAG drivers:

           /sysfs/zvm/diag/nn/lock     - semaphore to use as a
reserve/release flag. Processes
                                         attempt to flock() this file.
Success indicates acquisition of the
                                         DIAG nn interface

This is troublesome as pointed out before: What if your script that has
aquired the lock crashes?

I didn't think David was talking about a script, though I was and that's
why I specified a timeout, and not flock() either.

I guess thatever happens depends on what's being attempted, but the
consquences are little worse from those if the kernel support backing it
crashes. Fear of bad consequences isn't an argument for not doing it,
though it should temper the diligence applied to designing, coding,
testing etc.

--

Cheers
John