> I thought the original
> poster wanted a "self contained appliance" that ran Oracle.
> The concept of an "appliance", to me, is "no user servicable
> parts inside", so to speak.

All true. The first problem appears when you start asking questions about
backup, or database automation, or system monitoring. Then we're back to the
question of ISV support for the appliance OS, and the accompanying whining
about what distribution is present.

Case in point: If your backup system is TSM, and you use the TSM client on
Debian, and you find a problem, IBM support hangs up on you (not literally,
but you don't get any help) because Debian isn't in their supported OS list.
For play guests, that's OK. For production data guests, that's not
acceptable.

>  The fact that the
> user's company was a SuSE or RedHat shop would not be very
> relevent to this particular Oracle distributation.

See above. It also comes back to the question of training for admins. If you
smoke the RH pipe, the system management techniques are different than if
you smoke the SuSE pipe. J. Random Admin that is running this stuff from a
cookbook gets cranky if it doesn't "work like it said in the book" forever
and ever. Then you get into the discussion of adding disk space, or some
other stupid thing, and we're back to separate implementations for the RH
and SuSE crowds.

It'd be REALLY nice if the various RH versions got with the program wrt
configuration management.

> What am I missing? Is there some problem with distributing
> Debian (or CentOS or ...) with other bundled software?

Not at all. Like I said, it's not a technical problem. It's a human problem.

-- db