From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
James Melin
Sent: November 9, 2005 14:06
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Poor performance running VM under VM in a DR exercise

I spoke to an IBM expert on things WebSphere on z/Series and he had this
say:

_________________________________

You will experience much degraded performance when you are running Linux
under VM under VM. My understanding of this is that it is caused by
running
the SIE (start interpretive execution) hardware instruction in software.
VM
uses the SIE instruction to run guest operating systems like Linux. When
VM
is itself running interpreted (2nd-level) then when it uses the SIE to
run
Linux that SIE is running in software emulation.

So it's not just your WebSphere that is slow, but all of Linux, and any
other guests running under the 2nd-level VM. You're probably not
noticing
the slowdown in Linux since Linux is quite "light" and doesn't really
put
much of a load on the system. But WebSphere will, and you'll notice the
performance degradation.

__________________________________

We are running VM under VM for the convenience of the DR Vendor. Rather
than have to re-create our VM environment for us with different device
addressing....

A couple questions :

Any way to prevent third level guests from doing SIE in emulation?

When we do our z/VM & z/Linux restores, the process we undertake is to
do
it from the 'starter system'. We restore to the real disk devices on the
recovery system. The process of volume restore for Linux changes the
Volser, so when our VM runs, the devices are at the address they've been
told to be at in the VM directory and the labels have been changed to be
what labels VM expects. The only real thing that needs to be resolved is
recovery system device address definitions vs our 'native' device
address
definitions.

Is it better to re-map our VM configuration to match the device
addresses
of the recovery hardware, or have the DR vendor create guests in the
primary VM that match my Linux definitions?

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action
intended recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
The integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the
Internet.  The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail, or
for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
 The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.