From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 6:02 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Linux network problem/question

-snip-
With the subsequent post from Steve saying that he can't ping .63 from
.60, either, I would venture that PRIROUTE is not sufficient to fix this
problem.  Unfortunately the archive renders the original post
unreadable, but as I can piece together, the given configuration was:

  HOME
    10.140.1.22    ETH0
    10.140.1.24    ETH2
    192.168.140.60 HIPERLF0
    192.168.141.60 HIPERLF1

  ;  Network      First Hop     Interface    MTU      Mask
Subnet
  192.168.140     =             HIPERLF0     8192       0
  192.168.141.60  =             HIPERLF1     8192     HOST
  10.140.1.24     =             ETH2         1500     HOST
  10              =             ETH0         1500   0.255.255.0
0.140.1.0
  ; Default for everything else
  DEFAULTNET    10.140.1.254    ETH0         1500       0

Assigning the same IP address on different interfaces is a Really Bad
Idea.  If dynamic routing is introduced, it will not produce the desired
results.  As given, this configuration will send requests for .63
through HIPERLF0, not LF1.  If LF1 is the desired interface, then the
192.168.141.60 value in the second entry must change to 192.168.141.63.
The .63 host must have a default

In general, I'm not happy with the two HOST entries.  It is a nefarious
attempt to split the respective subnets into two LAN segments.  That is
a recipe for failure.  In fact, note the subnet mask on the Linux guest:
255.255.255.0.  Linux will assume that all 192.168.141 hosts are local
on the hsi1 interface, a valid assumption, but not true based on the VM
configuration.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott