MVS access: that's where the question of practicality arises.  One can ftp
the file to the Linux image and if it heads across a hipersocket it can't
be sniffed therefore it needs not be encrypted.  That leaves the
authentication issue to be dealt with, but I admit I haven't given that a
great deal of thought.  Once the file is there a scheduler agent or
something similar can initiate the transfer from Linux to the final
location.  One can reverse the flow and the situation is changed very
little, the agent lets the MVS system know to retrieve the file once it
arrives at the Linux image.

OpenSSH on MVS uses OpenSSL software encryption routines and can consume a
lot of cycles.   That workload would likely be less expensive out of the
sysplex where it would not inflate all the related yet totally uninvolved
software license fees.

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by:
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             ST.EDU                    LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
                                                                        cc

             01/09/2006 15:10                                      Subject
                                       Re: Secure file transfers: thoughts
                                       on zLinux as server for MVS
             Please respond to         sysplex?
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  ST.EDU

I don't understand how installing a Linux/390 system running SSH is
going to allow your MVS systems to access the data.  Besides, if running
SSH on your Linux system is good enough, why isn't running SSH on your
MVS systems good enough?