On 1/11/06, Post, Mark K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the RPM name has noarch in it, it means it does not contain any
> binary files specific to a particular architecture.  If it has i386,
> s390x, or anything like that, it is almost guaranteed to not run on any
> architecture other than the one specified.  You might get lucky if
> someone made a mistake and didn't mark something as noarch when they
> should have, but I wouldn't count it working.
>
> If you don't use RPM to install something, RPM will *not* know about it.
> So, no  surprise there.  If you want to install something that SUSE
> doesn't provide, create a SRPM for it, and build a "binary" RPM from it.

Agree, my issue is that CPAN does not know than an RPM was installed.
So when I am using the interactive session with CPAN and I do an
"information" on an RPM installed perl module, it does not show it as
installed.  The RPM (-q) does show it as installed.  I was hoping
someone may know why the inconsistency.  I would be curious if I
install a perl module via RPM and the same via CPAN if it is not bound
to cause problem.