On Iau, 2006-02-16 at 11:03 -0600, Tom Shilson wrote:
> Xen is a Linux form of VMWare.  It allows you to run multiple instances of
> Linux.  Instead of creating a virtual machine, however, Xen shares the
> kernel.  Compared to VMWare (or zVM) it is limited because of this.  I have
> never used it.  I believe that it is an OpenSource project.

Xen isn't Linux specific. Nor does it share a kernel. Xen is a true
hypervisor when running with Intel VT capable processors and very close
to it when running on a generic x86. Performance is generally within
2-3% of native as a result of the para-virtualisation techniques used
with a Xen aware kernel on a non VT capable processor.

It is indeed free software.

Alan