Jim...I'm sending this back out on the listserv as others have also been
asking...

We may be on simular but different tangents.

>From my understanding, DB2 Connect is only for the ascii side to
connect to mainframe servers.
DB2/UDB on zLinux is not a mainframe server (still the ascii side).
So, no matter where UDB is, you don't need DB2 Connect.

In other words, if you are using the Client Configuration Assistant,
under Windows, under Protocol, just click on TCP/IP and don't click on
"database physically resides on a host or AS/400"  (if you click on
that, you will need DB2 Connect and it will only connect to MVS, VM, VSE
or AS/400).

So, I'm using the 31 bit V7 client on XP, going to UDB on zLinux.  But
the database is 64 bit (db2ilist -a return 64 bit).  A V7 client can't
talk to a 64 bit database.

The simple solution would be to upgrade to the V8 client.  But the V8
client can't talk to my V7 DB2/VSE database.  UGGG.

Now I have just gone thru the "Moving Data from DB2/VSE&VM to DB2 UDB
for Linux, UNIX or Windows" procedure.

Looked a lot worse that it was.  It was a 50 page document and when you
start reading, it was very detailed.  Turned out they gave an overview
(a couple pages), the commands needed in order with explainations (about
5 pages) and then their sample with program code for moving all tables
(some 40 pages).

I now have a federated database!

I copied a table directly from VSE to UDB.
And as of right now, from UDB, I can select any VSE table or the copied
table on UDB.

The next step is to select the UDB table from VSE.

When it is finally setup, this stuff is neat.

Eventually, all the stuff I do from my PC, (regina with DB2 stuff), I
may be able to move over to a Linux machine.  Then, I no longer have a
dependancy on my XP box and I can run from the Linux machine on any PC
that I can PUTTY in with..  wow. what a concept.

And now thinging a little futher.  If I can have access to everything
on my VSE DB2 V7 system from my Linux UDB V8 database, I should be able
to upgrade my V7 client on XP to V8 to access the Linux side "AND" also
have access to my V7 tables on VSE.....that just might work.

So my biggest problem in all of this, seemed to be trying to take baby
steps  (XP V7 client to UDB V8 64 bit server), instead of just doing
what I wanted to  (VSE to UDB).

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting
(perhaps I should have also sent it out to the VM and VSE listservs.
That is the population that may want to get to UDB....well perhaps later
after everything has been tested)

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/29/2006 11:20 AM >>>
Tom, offlist message to you.

My discussions with IBM to date on this very subject indicate that they
do not support db2 connect/db2 udb 31 bit mode on 64 bit hardware. There
is
install media for teh 64 bit Db2/Db2 connect available but what it
looks like to me, given that we are also on DB2 version 7, that I may
have to have
a 31 bit SLES-9 guest. This of course will suck.