G'day Anna,

On 26/04/2006, at 5:43 pm, Fuhrmann Anna wrote:

I simply don't know how to figure it out.

Well, we're here to help :)

Two partitions (z/os and RHEL4) involved. want to communicate.

One interface is OSA Express, working fine, VIPA- and
omproute-configured.

Is this the z/OS system that has VIPA and OSPF, or both z/OS and Linux?

The other one should be hipersocket, no need for VIPA and for dynamic
routing, as far as I see.

What I don't quite see at the moment: how do I *prevent* the z/os-
LPAR
from choosing the "usual" way
(of being routed): is it by defining a static route for the
hipersocket
interface in the Profile-dataset? BSDROUTINGPARMS or BEGINROUTES or
whatever?

Defining a static route is one way.  You need to take care to ensure
that the static route is not imported into your OSPF domain and
exported to the rest of the network via OMPROUTE, or you may find
your z/OS system becoming a router for your Linux system...

AND: how and where do I do the corresponding thing for the Linux LPAR?

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-hsi0 is defined as follows -
and I
don't know if
these definitions are correct especially as to if it is correct when
HWADDR is empty.

DEVICE=hsi0
HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.60.4
NETMASK=255.255.255.192
NETTYPE=qeth
ONBOOT=yes
SUBCHANNELS=0.0.0a08,0.0.0a09,0.0.0a0a
TYPE=Ethernet

Don't worry about HWADDR, it's used on other platforms to distinguish
multiple network interfaces of the same hardware type.

If you choose to use static routing, you will need to create a file
called route-hsi0 that contains the detail of the route you wish to
create.  The format will be:

<vipa-address of z/OS> via <HSI interface of z/OS>

This will ensure that any traffic directed to the VIPA of z/OS goes
via HiperSockets.

If you had zebra or quagga set up on Linux to provide VIPA there, you
could define the HiperSockets to OMPROUTE and to zebra/quagga and let
OSPF handle the definition of appropriate routing entries.  In this
case, more-so than static routing above, you will need to take even
more care to ensure that the HiperSockets network is not visible to
the exterior network (LAN) unless it's REALLY what you want.

Be aware that all of this needs to be done with involvement from the
network/router people at your shop.  Creating "internal networks"
between systems can create a routing loop, and this can be very bad
for network operation (and your chances of ever getting the network
people to do you a favour in the future).

Cheers,
Vic Cross