Thank you!

We have decided to go with VMDUMP rather than disk-based dumps.  I will try
making vmhalt=VMDUMP.  The "Dump Tools" book seems to be for the October
2005 stream, but I read it anyway.  It did help.

Thanks again!

tom
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Toto, I have a feeling we're not in the mainframe world any more.
   _/)                  Tom Shilson
~~~~~            Unix Team / IT Server Services
Aloha               Tel:  651-733-7591       tshilson at mmm dot com
                           Fax:  651-736-7689

             Rob van der Heij
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             software.com>                                              To
             Sent by: Linux on         LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Dumping a LIN-z System

             04/27/2006 05:54
             PM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

On 4/27/06, Tom Shilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks to me that taking a dump of a LIN-z system is a manual process.
> You either manually IPL a disk, a tape, or you do the VMDUMP command. The
> automatic dumping after an oops or kernel panic that is available on
LINTEL
> is not available on LIN-z.  True?

You're right that one dump disk per server does not scale, and picking
one from a pool is not trivial (well, a pool of 1 could do). But you
would be better off with VMDUMP instead.

If the kernel crashes the CP READ wil make evidence disappear before
you're there to take the dump. My understanding is that the kernel
does a halt in case of bad damage, in that case vmhalt="VMDUMP 0:ALL"
would do the trick. Have a look at the "Using the dump tools" book
which describes the process to read in the dump in Linux (in the Linux
that caused the dump, or at least one with exactly the same level of
kernel).

--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc