Our hardware marketing support provider explained how it was a well
documented performance feature.
Perhaps the only real multi path performance feature there was.
It is well documented in the IBM Shark manuals and just seems to cost you a
UCB # per volume from your total available per channel.
We are not that large and that was not a problem.
We did do a bit of juggling to define all the 800 GB per controller on each
defined channel to use it all up with the least wasted left over.
Simple stuff and all above board.

Good luck,
Frank