Here's the problem with IBM writing your startup script for you - WebSphere
changes over time. Servers are added. Servers are removed. Server names
can change. All of this must be reflected in your startup script.

You may be sharing some of your disks read only across multiple WebSpheres...
you might not be.  YOu may want to start the Servers and node agent but
not the deployment manager... there are many possibilities.

Now, providing a template is something else entirely.

We ourselvs are using  the CMSFS to read a file from the LNXADMIN Id's 192 disk
to see if WebSphere should start or not. If it should we call a second
script that used to be pointed to by the SxxWebSphere symlink in
/etc/init.d/rc5.d - The startup profile here has changed drastically since it's
inception.

I feel your pain, however.

-J

             Lee Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             Sent by: Linux on 390 Port
             <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

                                                                   cc
             05/03/2006 06:09 PM

                                                              Subject
                                                                     Re:
Starting WAS, MQ, DB2, etc...
                            Please respond to
               Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

OK, this is what I thought -- and agree with...

Now I have to really grumble at IBM...   Am I missing something or isn't
that missing what should be a key part of the product?  Is it really
reasonable that every single shop has to write their own init.d
script????   Every shop expected to reinvent that wheel?  Surely they
might anticipate that at least some shops might want to start Websphere
at system startup time...

Add to that the fact that many of the Linux installations on the
mainframe don't have someone who speaks bash (at least not when they're
getting started).  (We don't recall any option during the install to
have it autostart - at least this level from this CD.)

So to the MVS sysprog I have three choices to offer them:
  a. Follow IBM's advice and do it manually
  b. Quick, in your "spare" time go learn bash scripts and write your
own init.d script for /etc/init.d
  c. Stuff it in /etc/inittab

As much as b. is the "right" choice, I suspect c. will win almost
everytime....

IBM WAS and DB2 and MQ people -- are you listening?

</rant>
Lee

Adam Thornton wrote:
> On May 3, 2006, at 1:07 PM, Lee Stewart wrote:
>
>> Hi...
>> What are people doing to automatically start things like WAS, DB2, MQ
>> etc.?   Stuffing it at the end of /etc/inittab?  Writing your own
>> start/stop script for /etc/init.d?  What's the "best" place to
>> stick it?
>>
>> One of our clients was told "have someone logon and issue..." -- by
>> someone at IBM (aka: It's Better Manually).   Sigh...
>

> I gave a talk on this (it's really David's talk) at WAVV, and you can
> get it from the sinenomine.net web site.
>
> The short answer is: yes, write your own init.d script.  That
> directory will contain plenty of models for how to do it.  DON'T put
> it in /etc/inittab.  And DON'T start it manually--you have automation
> of production systems for a reason.
>
> Adam

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> visit

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Enterprise Systems Group
Phone: (303) 798-2954