On 5/9/06, Preuett, Lance M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes it is R/O mdisk....... it is a clone user and the scripts have
changed on the master Linux. We tried to umount and mount with no
change. Will we have to detach the mdisk and re-link after the umount?

No, detach and link will not make a difference. It's the umount that
flushes stuff out.

This is not CMS. With CMS we have learned how to deal with disks where
users are reading while one is writing, and still assure a consistent
view of what's on the disk. It does not work like that with Linux. It
is impossible to predict which parts will be cached and which not, and
when what is written to disk. Writing will not only affect the files
that you update, but also the directories above. And when you do
multiple updates it is possible for a clone to pick up a completely
wrong pointer to a file.

Really, the only way to do this right is to set up a fresh copy of the
disk, do all your updates and then unmount the disk (or mount it back
R/O if you want). Then your clones may pick up the new disk, for
example by swapping the disks in the directory. And in that case you
*do* have to detach and link again to get the new disk.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc