John Summerfied writes:
> I have not heard of any failed Intel or AMD CPUs in a very long time.
> Accompanying system components such as RAM, disks, NICs, yes, but not
> the CPU itself. The systems I use are built to be cheap; one can have
> greater reliability for a greater price. I imagine that for the price of
> a mainframe one could also have a fairly reliable IA32/AMD-64 system.

  We use an IBM Blade Center cluster, with mostly Intel Xeon cpus.  We
started nearly 3 years ago, and the hardware has been *very* reliable.
Certainly well in the mainframe reliability ballpark.  (Maybe better. :-)

  Our experience is considerably better than blades and 1Us from other
manufacturers that I've seen on campus.  The "white box" stuff I've seen
has been the most unreliable of the lot.

  We do pay a premium for the IBM Blade Center blades - and are happy
with what it buys us.  E.g. better power efficiency in addition to the
reliability.

--henry schaffer