Richard Pinion wrote:
I'm sure this is a completely different class of processor, but I recently
purchased an AMD Athlon 3200+ XP.  After chaning the memory chips, power
supply, heatsink/fan, video card, and removing all other cards I finally
decided the chip was faulty.  It would attempt to boot up and after the initial
WinXP screen it would reboot.  I tried to reinstall WinXP and the installation
failed everytime.  I sent the chip back to the store and they tried to install
WinXP on a test machine and it failed.  They conculded as I concluded the chip
was bad.  I always thought if the chip were bad nothing would happen, but not
in this case, I could sometimes get WinXP to boot in safe mode.

In 26 years I've never had that kind of problem with a mainframe!

The Athlon XP is quite dated:-)

Sounds a lot like the problem I mentioned with our Sydney S/370 model
145 and the "No Record Found" error.

The RAS features of IBM's zSeries are, of course, features of IBM's
zSeries, but that does not make them defining features of mainframes.
The S/370 model 145 was one of IBM's finest mainframes in its day, and
while they still have advanced features over today's peecees, I'd not
expect them to match the 71 days my desktop's been up (since I installed
a UPS), let alone the 118 days the box in the next room's been up (I
don't recall why I rebooted that, possibly some fiddling with the boot
volume).

--

Cheers
John