On June 6, 2006, Betsie Spann said:
> Is anyone running snIPL on zLinux? This is a DeveloperWorks product
> documented in Device, Drivers, Features and Commands.   I believe there
> is a problem handling image names that have a dash, eg. CCPUC-LX2
>
> The snIPL processing changes it to CCPUC\nLX2  as you can see from the
> strace:
>
> vmzl006:/usr/local/bin # cat /tmp/snipl.trace2 | grep CCPUC
> execve("./snipl", ["./snipl", "-r", "CCPUC-LX2"], [/* 54 vars */]) = 0
> write(2, "CCPUC\nLX2: reset failed, return "..., 75) = 75
>
> The resulting error is
> vmzl006:/usr/local/bin # strace -o /tmp/snipl.trace2 ./snipl -r
> CCPUC-LX2
>
> Server 10.nnn.nn.nn from config file /etc/snipl.conf is used
>
> CCPUC
> LX2: reset failed, return code of HwmcaCommand is NO_SUCH_OBJECT - 1

Betsie, to follow up on this, it's not obvious (or documented, as best as
I can tell), but the source code shows me that the syntax of "<image
name>" is really "<[server-]image_name>".  That is, the image name can be
prefixed by the server (CPC) name followed by a dash.  This doesn't work
so well when the LPAR name contains a dash, eh?  :-)

So, snipl sees CCPUC-LX2 and assumes it is image LX2 on server CCPUC,
overriding the associated server obtained from the config file (I think).
So try something along the lines of "P0012345-CCPUC-LX2".

The Right People have been found (from the source code, I might add!) and
notified.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott