hmm...

 I don't mean to rain on parades, but these figures seem kinda
 high to me.

 Tiger Direct (here in Raleigh) is running a deal where you can
 get a 3.03ghz celeron w/256K cache,  1GIG of memory in a case
 (with power-supply) for $79.99.  So - $2K for a PC seems awfully
 pricy these days.

 Dell sells their bottom-of-the-line "server" for $399.99.

 100g-bit switches are usually around $59 at CompUSA.

 And - is there a reason not to just use one of the Intel boxes
 as the firewall?  That would be $80 + $40 for a brand new IDE
 drive.

 I suppose my point is that you can pay whatever you want for
 a PC these days...  of course, you get what you pay for.

 Even so, I would think that someone doing a big purchase
 could drive an awfully hard bargain out of a white-box
 distributor, and get much better prices than these...

> I just returned from an IT Financial conference where I contrasted the
> costs between running the 45 servers on Intel versus the z/900. I took
> very conservative costs for the Intel machines ($2K per server), Switches
> ($10K), and Firewalls ($10K) and all with no support (this $0).

        - Dave Rivers -

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com