From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Thomas David Rivers
Sent: June 26, 2006 11:38
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: OPM zLinux Experience

hmm...

 I don't mean to rain on parades, but these figures seem kinda
 high to me.

 Tiger Direct (here in Raleigh) is running a deal where you can
 get a 3.03ghz celeron w/256K cache,  1GIG of memory in a case
 (with power-supply) for $79.99.  So - $2K for a PC seems awfully
 pricy these days.

 Dell sells their bottom-of-the-line "server" for $399.99.

 100g-bit switches are usually around $59 at CompUSA.

 And - is there a reason not to just use one of the Intel boxes
 as the firewall?  That would be $80 + $40 for a brand new IDE
 drive.

 I suppose my point is that you can pay whatever you want for
 a PC these days...  of course, you get what you pay for.

 Even so, I would think that someone doing a big purchase
 could drive an awfully hard bargain out of a white-box
 distributor, and get much better prices than these...

> I just returned from an IT Financial conference where I contrasted the
> costs between running the 45 servers on Intel versus the z/900. I took
> very conservative costs for the Intel machines ($2K per server),
Switches
> ($10K), and Firewalls ($10K) and all with no support (this $0).

        - Dave Rivers -

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action
intended recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
The integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the
Internet.  The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail, or
for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
 The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.