Harold Grovesteen wrote:
> If all we have is CONFIG_64BIT, how is a 31-bit kernel created?
With CONFIG_64BIT=n, the kernel will be 31bit.

> Assuming it can be built, does this mean that users of 31-bit restricted
> hardware must go to other sources for their distributions and support
> than the prevailing commercial distributors, namely, Red Hat and Novell?
Distributors are market-driven. If there is demand, there will be a
corresponding product.

> I am basically confused by "every patch applies equally for both 64bit
> and 31bit kernels."
Well, we do neither provide 31bit nor 64bit binaries. We provide
source code via developerworks and upstream into Linus' Tree via
Martin. Our device drivers and a lot of code in the arch tree can be
compiled either to a 31bit binary or a 64bit binary with only few
exceptions (like the .S assembler files, and a few inline assemblies).
 We make sure everything compiles and runs for 31bit and 64bit.
Testing is mostly done on 64bit these days, but our developerworks
source code streams are also regression tested as 31bit binary.
--

Carsten Otte
IBM Linux technology center