Need to run it through some amount of  "root profiling".  You need the
effect of

        sudo su -

except that you want to also limit them to  >one<  command.  Could
probably script it,  and still relatively safe.

-- R,

Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

07/10/2006 01:56 PM
Please respond to Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

From
Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: starting apache

On 7/10/06, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's why you allow them only the init script. The init template
> provided with most distributions does not depend on the environment
> beyond the basics. If you let them run a shell in any form, then yes,
> you will lose.

You made me double check, and I found I was indeed right...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart
Shutting down httpd/etc/init.d/apache: line 158: killproc: command not
found
 failed
Starting httpd [ Mailman PERL PHP4 Python ]/etc/init.d/apache: line
121: startproc: command not found
                                                                     done

And even if it worked, these shell scripts are not robust enough to
run under sudo. Frequently they allow environment variables to
override essential things and they source configuration files that you
may not all protect. IMHO letting people run this under sudo only
provides the illusion of security.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij