> You made me double check, and I found I was indeed right...

I was sure you would...8-)

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> sudo /etc/init.d/apache restart
> Shutting down httpd/etc/init.d/apache: line 158: killproc: command not
> found
>
> failed
> Starting httpd [ Mailman PERL PHP4 Python ]/etc/init.d/apache: line
> 121: startproc: command not found

done

I'd argue that these are bugs that should be fixed, not ignored. The
Debian init scripts function properly using sudo because they're
required to. Apparently the SuSE ones still need a little work.

> And even if it worked, these shell scripts are not robust enough to
> run under sudo.

Glad you agree. Again, these problems should be fixed, not ignored.

> Frequently they allow environment variables to
> override essential things and they source configuration files that you
> may not all protect.

Your system, your gun, your foot. Blind operational practices will lose.
It's still your responsibility not to do something dumb, which includes
letting ordinary users run code as root that you haven't looked at.