On 7/24/06, Adam Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It strikes me that file-level backups are generally a lot easier to
work with, and use less archival media.

File level backup is great for "oops backup"  when you erased a few
files and want them back. I am not sure whether you ever tried to
restore the entire server from file level backups when you lost the
disk. Typically you will need to re-install a new system and then
restore your backups on top of that. Think about how that works for
many servers at the same time (because it probably must be a major
problem if you actually lost DASD).

I have been involved in several attempts to recover a system from file
level backup, but none worked like planned. Last one I remember we
found TSM trying to restore the upgraded glibc over the vanilla
install of SuSE.

Once you start looking at it, you will find that many servers don't
really have data that you need to backup. You might be better off with
some tooling to quickly create a fresh server and some structure to
manage any customizing you do on top of that. Which eventually leaves
the servers that actually hold business data in some application, and
you can look at the best way to deal with those applications.

Rob