On 7/24/06, Stahr, Lea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

These are standard image systems that I can clone from a master and have
in production in 2 hours. But what if its not standard? Then I have
customizations that are lost.

Such an approach does require discipline to properly register what you
have modified and to assure the copy of that customized file is held
somewhere.
You know what files the clone should have, if you also have a list of
what you consider variable data or stuff that otherwise does not need
to be backed up, the difference is what should have been registered as
customization. You can use the check either to correct your
registration or to educate your colleagues.
Bonus points for when you can enhance the cloning process to also
re-apply these customization things. If you keep the copy of the
customized files in a handy way (e.g. an NSF server) you could get a
mechanism for applying changes with it. You might have a look at
cfEngine.

--
Rob