Pam,
        Does this data reside on a SnapShot- or FlashCopy-capable DASD
subsystem?  If so, you can reduce your outage time to a couple of minutes per
image instead of an hour.  I haven't been backing up our systems lately, but I
think I had it down to about two minutes -- most of which was sleep time to
make sure commands had completed -- between Linux shutdown and AUTOLOG using
the standard recipe:

1) signal shutdown
2) FORCE guest WITHIN 30 SECONDS (usually takes about 5 seconds)
3) Vary DASD online to z/OS.
4) Take snapshots of DASD.  (This only takes a few seconds.)
5) XAUTOLOG guest.

Jon

<snip>
Comments: What we have down is;
1. MANUAL JOB- SHUTDOWN LINUX 4 z/VM server-AFT 7pm.
2. DDR specific volumes thru an automated exec process.
3. MANUAL JOB- START    LINUX 4 z/VM server- AFT 7pm.
We are halting to shut down the Linux servers thru the
  The Linux Web interface.
We then perform; DDR of the volumes. This is a 99.9% non violent approach!
Down time: approx 1 hour per LINUX server.
Start: XAUTOLOG the Linux 4 z/VM server back up; works out just fine.
Yes availability, 100% up-time; but this is our trade off.
Our experience for backing up the file system from the
  Network sever side, has had many issues, but our
  Staff keeps trying!
</snip>