Alan Altmark wrote:
> But, Carsten, the application may start up just fine, however it may be
> using old data.  I have an application running on my workstation right now
> that saves its configuration data only when you shut it down (working as
> designed according to the vendor).  Since the application is only
> terminated when the system is shut down, a live backup of the disk would
> have no effect.  I mean, it would restore and run just fine, but be
> running with old data.
Well, backups are always about using old data in case of recovery as
far as I can see. Using an application that saves important data only
on shutdown in a mission critical environment is very dangerous
regardless of the backup soloution.

> I can jump up and down and stamp my feet, claiming that the application is
> broken, but that doesn't make it so.
What application (Server Application on Linux) acts like you claim?

regards,
Carsten