Did you try the fdr from cyl / to cyl options on the backups?  This sounds
eerily familar to our label issue.

"Stahr, Lea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>
07/25/2006 08:17 AM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [LINUX-390] Bad Linux backups

FDR says working as designed. They back up the entire volume and restore
the entire volume. I have restored 3 systems and they DO NOT BOOT.

Lea Stahr
Sr. System Administrator
Linux/Unix Team
630-753-5445