I agree.  I think you should make your backups with the Linux system down.  You
should test this to make sure that there is not some other operational error
causing problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Stahr, Lea
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:28 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Bad Linux backups

Gentlemen, I must agree with the validity of external backups, but only
when the Linux is down. Any backup taken internally OR externally while
the system is running may not work due to extensive caching by the
system itself and by the applications. If I cannot restore my
application to a current state, then it's broken. And these were all
either EXT3 or REISERFS.

Lea Stahr
Sr. System Administrator
Linux/Unix Team