David Boyes wrote:
>> Therefore, dm-snapshot and
>> flashcopy are two sides of the same medal once the entire filesystem
>> is on a single dasd.
>
> That's a pretty large assumption, especially since the recommended
> wisdom for most "advanced applications" -- like DB/2 and WAS -- is *not*
> to put things like data and logs on the same filesystem for performance
> reasons.
Yup, I know that "everything on a single dasd" is a strong limitation.
But since flashcopy does'nt allow to snapshot multiple volumes at a
time, it is the only way to get a snapshot of all data involved from
outside the system that I know of.

>> The point is, that data is considered stable at any time. That's a
>> basic assumption which is true for ext3 and most applications. If you
>> run a file system or an application that does have inconsistent data
>> from time to time, you are in trouble in case of a power outage or
>> system crash. I hope this is not the case in any production
> environment.
>
> With respect, I think this is an unrealistic expectation. I don't
> control the application programmers at IBM or S/AP or Oracle, etc. If
> you want to preach on proper application design to those folks, I'll
> happily supply amens from the pews, but out here in the real world, it
> ain't so, and it ain't gonna be so for a good long while (or at least
> until the current crop of programmers re-discover all the development
> validation model work that we did back in the 70s at PARC).
It depends on the type of application. For a fileserver or static
webserver for example, this requirement is fullfilled. For more
complex servers, it can get nasty.

> With *today's* applications, you need a guaranteed valid state both from
> the application *and* filesystem standpoint, and to get that, you need
> to coordinate backups from both inside and outside the guest if you want
> to use facilities outside the guest to dump the data. How you do that
> coordination is what I think you're trying to argue and there, your
> points are extremely valid and useful; my point still stands that
> without coordination between Linux and whatever else you're using,
> you're not going to get the desired result, which is a no-exceptions way
> to handle backup and restore of critical data in the most efficient
> manner available.
Some people seem to trust today's applications more, for example the
developers of dm-snapshot and the users of per-file backup soloutions
like tsm which usually also run while the application is active.

with kind regards,
Carsten