From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:13 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Bad Linux backups

On Wednesday, 07/26/2006 at 02:55 EST, J Leslie Turriff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Okay.  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the majority of Linux
> applications (probably excepting database packages and such) rely on
the
> filesystem to eventually get their data to disk without them doing
> anything besides open, write and close operations.

And <snap!> the circle is closed.   Hence this entire thread/rant about
shutting down servers while you are flashcopying or otherwise performing
external physical backups.  If you know what you and the application are
doing, take a live backup.  If you don't, don't.  If the application
provides you with a set of backup functions, use them.

Oh, and the point that actually started the whole thing:  Test your
backups.  You should already be doing that in your DR tests, but if you
change your processes, re-test.

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...."  ;-)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott