Isn't the better/full answer to get IBM to support the "Integrated ASCII
Console" on the HMC?
Lee

McKown, John wrote:
I've read a lot here about people wanting to use vi or some other
application which is "full screen" from the "Linux console". The reply
is always that the "Linux console" cannot be used in the manner. Now,
back in the deep, dark past, I remember a product that we had on VM/370
(yes, that long ago!). This was a software protocol converter which
allowed a "start-stop" or async terminal, such as a VT-100, to logon to
a service machine (via NCP/NTO). This service machine would then use
VM's LDC (?) to create a 3270 session and it would convert the 3270
control sequences to VT-100 control sequences.

I'm curious if something similar could be done for Linux. That is, have
the "Linux console" be defined as CONMODE 3270 in the guest's VM
directory. Now, have a "device driver" which could do a reverse 3270
protocol conversion. That is, make the 3270 appear as a VT-100 (or
subset). The application would use VT-100 escape sequences. The device
driver would convert these to 3270.

I will grant that emulating the "full duplex" ability of the VT-100 and
"control keys" would make this difficult. But z/OS DIDOCS emulates a
"full duplex" capability on a 3270, so it should be possible. Well, to
those who are smart enuf (I'm not!).

Just a thought.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Lee Stewart, Senior SE
Sirius Enterprise Systems Group
Phone: (303) 798-2954